Monthly Archives: February 2017
In April 1892, Prince Charles III adopted the project for the construction of earthen tennis courts proposed by Count Bertor. Arriving in the principality in 1863, accompanied by Francois Blanc, the managing director of the Society of Sea Baths, he was able to get a loan for the gambling establishment “Lawn Tennis” and playing croquet. Construction work on laying the foundation began in the month of May behind the building of the Hotel de Paris and lasted a whole year.
In 1905, the Sea Bath Society decided to build an additional building for the Hotel de Paris, and thus the tennis courts were forced to “move”. The success of the club forces OMV to start developing new courts in the La Condamine quarter, but the project to host the Monte Carlo Tennis Club in this central and highly visited area of the Principality could not be final. Continue reading
April 14, 1929, at 13 hours 30 minutes under the High patronage of His Serene Highness Prince Louis II, Prince Pierre opened the first Grand Prix of Monaco. 16 riders had to complete 100 laps with a total length of 318 km. That was the beginning of the Monaco Grand Prix – a race which, along with Le Mans (Mans 24 hour) and Indianapolis (Indianapolis 500) is one of the most famous in the world!
Formula 1. Grand Prix of Monaco
So, this weekend, for the 64th time (the 53rd in Formula 1), the racers will go to the start of the famous “race around the casino”, and the same number of times this race, pretty seasoned with pure roulette madness, was kind championship in the championship. Continue reading